Get control of your thoughts!
That was my thought as I sat at the table eating my dinner and reading my book.
I was totally engrossed into what I was doing when I heard a sizzling sound.
It had only been ten minutes or so since I'd come in from my evening jog but it's Florida. It can start raining at the drop of a dime.
The sizzling sound persisted.
Finally, I looked over and remembered the pot on the stove.
"Oh yeah! I am boiling eggs, aren't I?!"
Silly girl! Silly me!
I tell you, I am SO forgetful at times.
Well....maybe forgetful is not the best adjective. Perhaps I simply have lots of fleeting thoughts. You know those thoughts.
- I need to pay my bill.
- I need to get my car washed.
- I need to dedicate time to writing.
- I need to update my resume.
- I need to take out the trash.
- I need to pick dog food on my way home.
- I need to buy that greeting card.
- I need to call my relative/friend.
You know the thoughts.
We all have them.
But the question is WHY?
I'm no sociologist , psychiatrist, or even psychologist (though I do have a degree in psychology).
However, I do know this:
- We spend so much time thinking about ways to move forward or get ahead. Ways to get unstuck.
- We spend a great deal of time allowing our past, our faults, our hurts, our shame, and our insecurities to hold us back.
- We spend or WASTE time scrolling through social media comparing ourselves to others and thinking up ways to keep up with the Carters.
ALL of these things clutter the mind.
In all of this, we FAIL to spend time in the moment. We FAIL to embrace the present. We FAIL to see the things, gifts, people, skills, and talents that lie right in front of us.
So, instead of focusing on what was and on what could be, allow yourself to focus on the NOW. Be reminded of Ecclesiastes 3:1, which says "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens."
What was is over. What will be will be. What IS, is NOW.
What is one thing you need to let go of in order to live in the moment?